Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Reeses Peanut Butter Cups...

I am addicted! My drug of choice is salty peanut butter covered in chocolate. Reese's PB Cups are like crack to this fat guy! I love them, I could eat 10 every day of the regular variety. I could eat about 50 of the big cups and a half dozen of the white chocolate type.
These alone are the reason I cannot keep my weight down to a respectable level. Damn you Mr. Hershey! or whomever invented these delights and pushed them onto unsuspecting children.

Interesting Fact #1 (from Hershey.com)
The name REESE'S has a unique heritage established by Harry Burnett (H.B.) Reese, a former dairy employee of Milton S. Hershey, founder of Hershey Foods Corporation. Reese was so inspired by Mr. Hershey's success that he left the dairy business to make his living in the candy industry. The H.B. Reese Candy Company began manufacturing a product made with specially processed peanut butter and HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate in the 1920s. Introduced as simply peanut butter cups, the popular candy item is known today as REESE'S peanut butter cups.

Interesting fact #2 (me)
It is impossible for me to find and sales facts on Reese's Peanut Putter Cups. I thought they were one of the best selling candies, but it seems that M&M's are #1 and that's all I can say for sure.

Possible Facts:
From "The Emperors of Chocolate" by Joël Glenn Brenner:"Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are Hershey's biggest seller, but in the1950s, the company tried a chocolate marshmallow cup that showed realpromise. Unfortunately, the product had to be discontinued -- themarshmallow filling had a tendency to explode when shipped over thehigh altitude of the Rocky Mountains."

  • Reese's makes enough Peanut Butter Cups in one year for each personin the USA to eat at least 20
  • Reese's Peanut Butter Cups" is the #1 selling candy brand in the USA
  • Reese's makes enough peanut butter cups in one year to feed one cupto every person in the USA, Japan, Europe, Australia, China, Africa,and India

(from google answers, thread 31004 - thanks to a user named inquisitive)


Help?
If anybody can find any credible information on Reese's PB Cup sales volume, I would love to see them. Any other information / trivia would also be appreciated.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those numbers seem really high to me...I dont know the numbers on other chocolate bars but with the number of people with peanut allergies and I would have asumed that a different bar was the biggest seller. (maybe theres a lot less people with allergies than I think)

2:24 AM  
Blogger Wally Banners said...

lol loved your article.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Faira said...

I also love Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. But I don't buy them because like you I could eat them all.
I like to keep the pounds off, so if I like something, I try to come up with a low calorie, low or no fat alternative.

What I came up with in this case was ... I buy, no fat(55 calorie) chocolate ice cream bars from the dairy case at the grocery store.
I put the ice cream bar in a small bowl and microwave it for about 10 seconds, just enough so that the ice cream is not melted but easily slides off the stick into the bowl, then I stir in a heaping teaspoon of reduced fat chunky peanut butter and stir until it is smooth and then I place it in the freezer for about 20 min. or until it is firm but not hard.
Then I have a low fat and low calorie alternative to my favorite Reeses Peanut Butter cup! It is good without the added guilt or unwanted pounds!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home